Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Recipe Review: Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles

Have you ever had one of those mornings where you feel like you just can't face eating another egg for breakfast?  You feel like just seeing one might make you scream, or be sick?  Well that was me this morning.  Even the idea of an egg for breakfast had me groaning in dissatisfaction.  But lo and behold, when I opened my fridge what was staring me in the face...  eggs and a quickly going brown avocado. 

It was then that I remembered what I was suppose to do yesterday... go shopping.  Which of course never happened. 

I think I actually growled at my fridge at this point.. I'm sure my daughter was a bit worried about me just then.

I quickly slammed the fridge and stood there thinking that I now had two choices..

1) Say screw paleo and eat some ice cream (wha.. you've never had ice cream for breakfast??  You have to try it.  It's even better than having ice cream for dessert..  But maybe that's because it is a little bit naughty..  I like being naughty)

or

2)  Go back to the couch, get on facebook, pout for a bit, and try to ignore my stomach until lunch when I might be able to think of something other than eggs to eat.

Well, I was actually good and chose option 2.

Then I logged onto facebook, and there it was, staring me in the face.  A big, fluffy, golden waffle.. with steam rising off of it.. and a pool of butter in the center.. with maple syrup dripping down the sides...

Sorry, just a minute.. keyboard stopped working due to the drool..  Let me just clean that up..
OK that's better, lets move on quickly.

So, after seeing this of course I wanted waffles.. Which, being thegood little paleo girl that I am, meant goign on a search for a good waffle recipe.  And guess what.  I actually found one that was really good.

(click this link for the recipe)
 


When I say really good, I mean REALLY, REALLY good.  I have tried several waffle recipes now (I am a bit addicted to waffles.. not quite as much as chocolate, but close) and none of them have been any good; until this one.  It's slightly sweet, moist, and while it is a heavy waffle, they somehow manage to be fluffy and "light".  Quick and easy to make, they took me about 15 minutes from start to finish, and that included the cooking of the sweet potato.   They...are...perfect..  I may never make a "regular" waffle ever again:  they were that good.  And, the best thing is, they are toddler approved.  My 2 year old loved them.

My recommendation.... stop reading this right now, and go and make these..  and when you are finished licking all the goodness off your plate.. come back here and tell me what you thought.
As you can tell, I really wasn't in the mood for a really healthy breakfast..  I topped mine with a blueberry compote and some of my paleo chocolate pudding I thinned down by adding milk and heating.  (Sorry, my food photography isn't very good yet..  but I'm working on it)

One cautionary note:  These are very filling.  I made two for myself..  I ate 1 and 1/2 (because I couldn't stop enjoying the deliciousness) and felt sick..  Learn from my mistake..  Eat only 1 at a time. 

Second note:  When you make the batter you will probably think the same thing I did;  there is no way this will make a good waffle.  It is so thick that you can't pour this into the iron.  You actually have to spread it.  Believe me though, it's right and it will turn out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment