Sunday, September 30, 2012

Confession and the Kitchen Sink

Alright everyone, I know I have been a bad Paleo blogger the last few days..  That's probably in direct correlation (there ya go Jon, used a stat term just for you) to the fact that I have been a bad Tribe member and Paleo eater for that same amount of time. 

I fell off the... well I would say wagon but that's not very Paleo...  so I guess you could say I fell off the cliff into a big lake of temptation and eating whatever  darn well pleased.  And now I feel like crap.

It's amazing to see the difference between how you feel when you eat clean, and how you feel when you go back to eating like you used to.  FAT, LAZY, UNHAPPY

So this week I am trying to drag my self slowly back up that cliff face.  It will be  a long, hard journey.  But I know I can do it.  Just need to find that kernel of commitment I had when we started this challenge.  I really want to feel as good as I did after the first 2 weeks.

I really tried to start that slow climb this evening by making a truly Paleo dinner.  As some of you know I hosted a Paleo party at the house this weekend.  I had a ton of food leftover.  I sent a good portion into work with Stefan as I knew we would never eat it all.  But I did have some left in the fridge, so I spent an hour trying to decide what to make tonight..  And then I had the epiphany.  Why not use up most of the leftovers in one dish that uses only one pot.. 

So I did...  and I dubbed it the Kitchen Sink Curry.

Now, this is when I usually give you a list of ingredients with amounts and things such as that.  But this "recipe" will be a bit different because, well, I didn't use much of a recipe.  I just grabbed stuff out of the fridge, cut it up, tossed it in a pot.. added some tomatoes and chicken stock and simmered it for a while..  but I will do my best to tell you what was in it.

Kitchen Sink Curry
Prep time:  10 mins          Cook time:  40 mins         Serves: about 4

 4 Cups of whatever veggies you have on hand/leftover  (I used zucchini, eggplant, carrot, mushroom)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion
3 Cloves garlic
1 Tbsp fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
1-2 Cups of whatever meat you have leftover ( I used steak and meatballs..  weird I know but it worked)
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 Cup chicken stock
2 Tsp cumin
2 Tsp coriander
1 Tsp turmeric
pinch or two of crushed red pepper (add more for more heat)
pinch or two of fennel (I left this out as I don't like the flavor of it)
1 Tbsp Cilantro roughly chopped


Cut up the veggies into bite sized pieces (including the onion).  Either dice the garlic or use a garlic press.  Grate the ginger if using fresh.

Add oil to large pot over medium heat.  Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.  Throw in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a slow boil.  Once boiling turn down heat, cover and simmer while you go and take a quick walk (or for about 30 mins).  Upon returning, remove lid and let simmer another 10 mins or so so it can thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. 

I served this over some cauliflower "rice" and it went over very well. 

To make "rice"  place small grater wheel on your food processor.  Grate florets of cauliflower (uncooked) into fine pieces.  Place grated cauliflower into microwave safe dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap  (DO NOT add water).  Microwave for 4-5 minutes.  Enjoy as rice!


PS..  I will be posting some of the recipes I used for the party food over  the next few days.   I will also be posting some reviews of recipes that other tribe members have tried and sent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment