Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tribal Pie... Paleo Approved Comfort Food

Soooo, after my comment about comfort food making this challenge easier, I have been working on making our favorites paleo friendly. 

Take last nights dinner for example;  something I have decided to call Tribal Pie (it's a take on Shepard's pie).  It was absolutely everything Stefan and I love about Shepard's Pie..  lots of flavor, hearty, and most of all the wonderful, almost sinful, potato topping.  I think we actually liked this version more than the others I have made before.  This is defiantly going to make a return appearance to our table..  maybe even once a week  =)  (just kidding). 

Sorry, there are no pictures accompanying this one..  I didn't finish making it last night until almost 8 (I made Stefan go with me to pick up my new sewing table or it would have been done earlier).  Once this hit the table, there wasn't time for me to snap a picture before Stefan and Kira were digging in. 

This can be made with 1 lb of whatever meat you have.  I happened to have leftover lamb leg in the fridge so I used that.  However, this would also be good with ground beef or lamb.

So, without further ado....

Tribal Pie
makes 4 servings

1       lb          Cooked Lamb Leg (cut up in small pieces)
2       tbsp       olive oil
3       Cloves  Garlic  (diced)
1                    carrot  (peeled and diced)
1       small    onion  (diced)
1 1/2 cup       Green Beans   (I used frozen)
4       oz          mushrooms (sliced)
1       cup        Peas  (I know someone is going to say this isn't Paleo..  but it depends on who you ask)
a few shakes of worcestershire sauce
                   (click here for how to make a paleo version  http://paleodietlifestyle.com/homemade-paleo-condiments/#s10)
1       cup        Beef broth
3-4   Tbsp      Tomato Paste
1-2   Tbsp      Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
A little Paprika

For Potato Topping

1 Large Sweet Potato
1 Small Head Cauliflower
1/3 to 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream
Salt and Pepper


Directions

  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
  • Chop and steam your cauliflower and sweet potato until soft. 
  • Let cool
  • Place potato, cauliflower and Cream (start with 1/3 cup) in food processor and process until smooth.  It should be a little thick, but if it won't mix well add a bit more cream. 
  • Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
To make filling
  • Add oil to a large pan and heat over medium heat. 
  • Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 mins
  • Add mushrooms and carrots and saute another 3-4 minutes. 
  • Add green beans, peas, worcestershire sauce, beef broth, tomato paste, thyme and salt and pepper. 
  • Mix well
  • Turn heat down just a bit and allow to simmer for about 10-15 mins.
  • Stir every so often and make sure it doesn't get to dry..  (if it does just add a bit more broth)
  • After simmering, remove from heat and put contents of pan into a medium casserole dish.  (When I say medium I mean any size that will hold both the "pie" ingredients and the potato topping without overflowing.  I used a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish)
  • Spread potato topping over the meat mixture
  • Sprinkle with a little paprika over the top
  • Place into oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
  • Remove and enjoy..  CAUTION it will be extremely hot on the inside.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment