Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sloppy Joe Stuffed Zuchinni Boats

So this next week is going to be a bit different.  I didn't get the results doing Paleo last week that I wanted, so this week I am determined to cut out all excess sugar and carbs.  This means no baking this week.. 

I know, it really sucks. 

But that's OK, I promise to still post up really good, satisfying recipes..  I don't do plain meat and veggies..  I need things a bit more complicated than that, and I get bored easily, and I think I may have a bit of ADD.. but that's for another post.

Just to show you that I do plan to still deliver more delicious recipes, here is the one I made just this evening.  (And yes, I forgot to take pictures again..  stupid me)

Sloppy Joe Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Servings:  about 8    Prep Time:  10 Minutes    Cook Time:  65 Minutes

This recipe will make a lot of stuffing..  Probably enough to stuff 4-6 large (the dark green US type) zucchini.  I was full after one, Stefan ate 1 1/2  so that should give you an idea about the serving size or so.

Ingredients

1.5 lbs (that's about 800 grams) Lean Ground Beef
4-6 Zucchini (Dark Green US Type)
1 Carrot
1 Medium Onion
4 oz Mushrooms
1 Small Red or Yellow Pepper
2 Cups Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1.5 Tbsp Cumin
3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tsp Pepper

Directions

  • Cut Zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle forming your boats
  • Place all veggies (including half the stuff scooped from the middle of the zucchini) in a food processor and process them until chopped finely
  • Place ground beef in a large pan over medium heat and brown
    •  Drain off fat
  • Throw all the other ingredients into the pan with the ground beef and mix well.
  • Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • While the meat mixture is simmering, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (about 200 C)
  • After simmering, spread meat mixture into each boat and place on a cookie sheet.
  • Put sheet in the oven and bake for 45 minutes
  • Remove and enjoy!

You can serve these boats by themselves or make another veggie to go with them.  (I bet sweet potato would go nicely with it)

To change this recipe up, or if you have to much stuffing, or if you don't like zucchini, you can just make the filling then wrap it up in a lettuce leaf, stuff a pepper or tomato with it, or serve it over cauliflower "rice".  The options are endless!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment