Friday, September 14, 2012

Final Day of Week 1 Paleo Challenge

So here it is guys.  Final day of week one.  Let me just say, this is tough.  My first three days I really felt like this challenge was going to be a piece of cake.  I didn't have any cravings, I was happy with the food choices, everything was new.  Day 4 I hit a bump in the road...  and cheated.  The snickers ice cream bars in my freezer just wouldn't shut up.   I could hear them all the way up in my laundry room on the third floor.  I ignored them for 3 hours...  but then they won out. 

Darn you chocolate, caramel, peanut goodness..  Why do you have such control over me????

But I did learn a lesson..  My will power is not stronger than a snickers bar...  =(  Which means I can no longer have those things in my house.  So I made Stefan take them to work. 

Ode to Snickers
Oh how I will miss thee
Your creamy goodness
Your cold chocolaty sweetness
Your crunchy yummy nuts.. 
But alas, I am better off
For now my butt won't grow
And maybe I can get off the couch and go

Anyways...  after that the cravings haven't been toooooo bad for non paleo food.  I do feel a bit unsatisfied with my food.  I'm sure that is mostly in my head.  (At least that's what I have to tell myself to get through the days).  Trying to come up with more Paleo friendly comfort food.  I think that will help me with the dissatisfaction in my food. 

How is everyone else doing?  Finding it easier or more difficult than you thought?  Cravings?

With the idea of comfort food in mind, I have come up with a new take on egg salad, which is one of my favorite things.  Why you ask??  I don't know since I am really not a huge fan of eggs.  But I think it has something to do with the creamy goodness of the mayo and the slight bite of the mustard.  Now we all know that mayo isn't really paleo.. unless you make it your self, but that is a whole nother post.  So instead of mayo we are using avocados for the creamy base texture.  Then adding guacamole ingredients gives it a nice cool, spicy (if you add enough jalapeno) different flavor.  Enough to make the mouth and brain think that "ohhh  this can't be paleo", so it is more mentally satisfying. 

So if I haven't totally bored you enough that you have left the page..  here is the recipe.

Guacamole Egg Salad
 
 
Serves 2-3                               Prep Time 15 Minutes                    Cook Time 10 Minutes


Ingredients

1                 Haas Avocado
4                 Eggs                   
1/4 - 1/2     of a Tomato         (remove seeds and dice)
1 Slice       Pickled Jalapeno  (dice fine)
1 Tbsp       Onion                   (diced fine)
1 Tbsp       cilantro                 (diced)
1 Tbsp       Dijon Mustard
Juice of a 1/4 of a Lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
  • Boil eggs in water for 10 minutes
  • Peel Eggs, rinse, then cut them up into a small bowl

  • Remove avocado from skin into medium bowl
    • Smash with fork until smooth
  • Add diced tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and salt and pepper.
    • Mix well
  • Fold in Eggs
  • Test to see if it is moist enough for you
    • If not, add the Dijon mustard
  • Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice as needed

Enjoy!  Store this in the refrigerator.  Will remain good for about 3 days.
You can serve this with a paleo crepe, as show in the picture or stuffed in a tomato or sweet pepper.  Or wrap it up in a lettuce leaf.  The options are endless.

If you want this to be spicier you can add more jalapeno.  If you don't want to use pickled jalapeno you can use fresh, just remember to remove the seeds before adding to the rest of the ingredients. 


 

2 comments:

  1. Hey again...chocolate I can take it or leave it. But I DO get sweet cravings and it's been smoothies to the rescue. You see, ice cream is my one real joy in terms of desserts. So far, I have been quite impressed with the frozen-desserts I've been making in the evenings or for breakfast.

    I disagree with certain Tribes-persons about using dates or bananas. I think that the amount of calories we burn each week, more than makes-up for any intake from natural sugars. So THERE!

    In order to psychologically deal with the cravings, I think it's important to vilify the little bastards so that it becomes easier and easier to avoid those foods. For example, I was in carrefour the other day, and I saw these three little brats shopping with their mother. the eldest child was SITTING IN THE SHOPPING CART. It looked absolutely ridiculous and all of them were happily munching away on chips. It was disgusting...and then I thought about it and looked around at the general public and what people choose to eat and I was appalled at what people put into their bodies...what the grocery stores even offer. Ick.

    So, in my opinion, the paleo diet challenge's point is to raise awareness of our diet in general. No, we will not always be 100% paleo, but at least we will know what's what. Know what I mean?

    PS...loved your poem on Snickers. I hope it was cathartic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. love this comment. I think the point of the challenge is just like you say.. to raise our awareness of what we are putting into our bodies. I also agree with you that some of that after doing this even for a week, looking at other peoples grocery carts is kind of scary..

    ReplyDelete